Non-Residents (Interdistrict Permits)
Interdistrict permits allow students from districts outside of Torrance to apply to attend Torrance schools.
Interdistrict permits are approved on a case-by-case basis, and are reevaluated at the end of each school year. Enrollment at each school is subject to availability and approval by the school requested. The Torrance Unified School District’s decision to accept your student’s permit will be based on space available at the Torrance school requested. Students must have, and maintain, satisfactory attendance, effort, academic achievement and behavior.
Torrance Unified School District will accept Interdistrict releases beginning April 1, 2013 (official date varies each school year) and must be received by May 31, 2013 in order to be processed by the start of the 2013-14 school year.
Procedure for Parent(s)/guardian(s):
- Parent(s)/Guardian(s) must obtain a “Permit Release” from their resident (home) district for eachnew student requesting to attend a Torrance school.
- Bring the permit release along with a completed AdditionalPermitInformationForm (see link below) and report card and/or transcript directly to the high school requested. (These 2 items must be received for the permit process to continue). Incomplete forms will not be processed.
- Grades 9: Attach a legible photocopy (front and back) of the June or most recent report card.
- Grades 10-12: In addition to a legible photocopy of the June report card, attach a legible photocopy of student’s transcript.
- The site administrator will contact the parent/guardian to arrange for an interview.
- If the permit is granted, you will need to enroll your student at the specific school site office to which you applied.
- Permit releasemust be received by May 31, 2013, in order to be processed by the start of the 2013-14school year.
According to AB 2444, a recently passed Assembly Bill, students who currently have an approved Interdistrict Permit (from a district outside TUSD) for 2012-13 will be permitted to continue attendance in the requested school without the need to re-apply to the district of residence to be released again. Families of students who are currently on an Interdistrict Permit will receive a letter in May notifying them that their permit will be renewed for the 2012-13 school year. If you do not plan to renew your permit for 2012-13, please mark the appropriate box and return the form to us by June 20, 2013.
Interdistrict permits for Torrance residents requesting to attend a district other than Torrance may be granted on a case-by-case basis. Parents/Guardians must fill out, and be granted, a Permit Release from Torrance Unified School District before applying to the new district. Take the completed application, with picture ID and two of the required proofs of residency to the District Office Room A103.
Permits accepted at Torrance HS for Torrance High students in the Counseling Office from 8:30 AM - 3:30 PM
(Summer hours may vary).